Until the export ban on Mahogany Crotches from Ghana in the late 1980's RELIANCE VENEER were the largest manufacturers of Mahogany Crotch veneer in the World with a monthly production of 12,000m2.
Fortunately we still retain a large production of Mahogany Crotches as machinery and technical knowhow were exported to West Africa when a joint venture was formed with a local company.
- There are many redwoods that pass as Mahogany, but Khaya Ivorensis is by far the best to produce crotches from.
- Mahogany Crotches mainly come from the West Coast of Africa.
- Mahogany Crotches are amongst the largest Crotches found and it is not uncommon to produce Crotches that are panel length.
- There are many different patterns available depending on which part of the tree is being sliced.
- The outer part of the solid Crotch produces Swirls and as the log is being sliced the grain changes quite quickly from a Swirl to a Rib cage to a Rats tail.
- The Rats Tail is by far the most difficult and challenging part of the tree to slice as there are varying densities and grain movement all in the same sheet of veneer.
RELIANCE VENEER distribute over 10 different species of Crotch and with an annual production in excess of 120,000m2 per year. This makes us one of the largest suppliers in the World.